Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday

We finished our 7th day of teaching!  5 to go!  Today wasn't so hot....compared to other days. 
I taught about food today. We compared Chinese breakfast, lunch, and dinner, to American food. I had a powerpoint on foods with pictures, and I made them a "typical" school lunch.  I got a tray from the lunch room and put an apple, snickers candy bar, some potato chips, and a peanut butter sandwich on it. We talked about how kids in the US can bring their own lunch to school in a sack or lunch box.  I gave them a half peanut butter sandwich and they loved it. But when I asked what they thought about the lunch they said it wasn't enough food!  I thought it was plenty. Their lunch consists of rice, soup, a meat dish usually mixed with either tofu or vegetables, and another cooked vegetable dish.  We then read Green Eggs and Ham. They loved the book!  I took one group around the school and wrote with chalk on different items and talked about it.  I didn't do it for the afternoon because it was so hot!

After school we took a taxi to meet a couple we met a church. Sarah and Chris are from Portland and moved to China about 7 months ago.  He has a computer web business and she teaches English at a couple of schools. The school provides free housing and she hired a nanny for about $200 a month. They love China, and seem to have made a lot of friends. They took us to a "Mexican" eating place that had a lot of foreigners eating there.  I ordered some enchiladas, but they were so hot that I couldn't eat them.  We went to a bakery later and I found a brownie! Yum!

A little about a taxi ride. You stand in the street and hail one down. Jump in and hand them an address, written in Chinese by our leader, and hang on for the ride. It is hard to explain, but their seems to be not traffic rules except that I think people obey the red lights. Other than that it is everyone for themselves. The taxi weaves in and out of traffic, goes down the opposite side of the street, honking horns nonstop, bikes, motorcycles, people, busses, vans, all using the same streets. You really have to experience it! I suppose the safest spot is in the middle of the back seat. Surprisingly you see very few accidents, although I read that traffic deaths have gone up 100% in the last two years!  I really don't feel unsafe!  It is just the way it is. 

Chris and Sarah brought along a Chinese friend (student), and a neighbor from Uzbekistan (teacher).  The place was so loud and crazy I was happy to escape to the "quiet" of the street. 

I miss the old hotel because of the wonderful park to walk around in the morning. There is only a busy street to walk on here and it just doesn't look good to go for a walk on. But I don't miss the mosquitoes!  We don't have them here, but I found what looked like a bedbug in the bed yesterday!  I looked it up on the internet and it sure did look like the picture!  Ugg! Evelyn thinks that something bit her on the ear. 

It's time to hit the hard bed! Sleep tight, and don't let the bedbugs bite!

No comments: