Thursday, July 10, 2008

4th work day


Above are pictures of the school. It is just five years old. Notice the cracks in the walls, and the door that has sunk because of poor workmanship. You would think that the building is at least 20 years old. Sad.
Another busy working day. I have talked to other teachers who say that this is a lot of work, and that is true. Although we only teach 6 classes of 35 minutes each it is a lot of work, and lots of planning.  With the terrible heat we are all drained by the end of the day.

Today I taught about the 5 senses.  Of course they know about the senses, but talking about it in English is another matter . We listed the 5 senses on the board and then under each heading listed items. We would use each word in a sentence.  I used a five senses book to end the discussion, and then had them draw five pictures of each sense  in a book and label it in English. We also played I-spy, electric current, and did the cha cha shuffle.

I taught Jon Marie's morning class because she was sick and throwing up. She stayed in the workroom and rested and after the 3 classes I found the headmaster and told her she needed to go back to the hotel, she got her a car and driver. I talked to Sally (our leader) and asked her if she would teach the afternoon class, I would have done it, but thought she could fill in. She said the kids wouldn't like it because she was Chinese. Anyway, she arranged to have the classes split and I had an extra 4 students in my afternoon class. We did the same plan as the morning class. Another teach was also throwing up. Sally tells us that the weather is causing the sickness, going from hot to cold.....hmmm. Don't know about that.

At lunch time we took a tai chi class. It was interesting.    Last night we stayed late at a caligraphy class, and then had dinner at the school.  By the time we got back we were wiped out and just went to bed early.

Tonight we took a taxi into downtown for dinner. There were 5 taxis because so many people were going. We were all going to wait for each other but got separated.  Evelyn, Jane, and I drove with a guy from our group who stiffed us on the fare. We paid, and he didn't. Interesting. We all waited for a while for the group, but didn't find them so decided to go get something to eat on our own. We had the bright idea to find a McDonalds and asked a girl that didn't speak English. She said to follow her and we walked for several blocks before we decided that she didn't know where she was going. She kept asking people if they spoke English, finally pulled out her cell phone and called a friend who spoke English. She asked me if I knew where we were  and I said I had no idea. She said to get a taxi. We told the "helper" goodbye and went back to where we were. We finally found the Italian restaraunt we were looking for and there was Bonnie, Lisa, and Joy, who had been looking for us!  The lasagne was pretty good, but pricey. I had some salad with it and the total cost was $8.00.  Then we caught another taxi home.

No comments: